|Author: Pastor Faith Oyedepo|
So far, we have been able to examine the Place of Rest, Rest in Time of Unrest and Relaxing At Home. Today, we shall be exploring: ‘Maximising Happiness in Your Home’
I want us to see how to get the best of times in our family life. The Bible says: The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear? (Proverbs 18:14). It is joy on the inside that brings out the best in a man. Happiness in your home will bring out the best in your wife, husband and children alike. A sorrowful heart is dangerous because nothing good comes the way of the dejected. God’s Word says: A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones (Proverbs 17:22).
When there is no happiness in a home, the family members are prone to all sorts of sicknesses and diseases. Man, which of these do you choose: to stay happy and make every member of your family happy; thereby, staying away from hospital bills? Or to continue spending your money and resources on drugs, and medical bills? Wisdom is profitable to direct. A wise man would say, “I’ll rather choose to stay happy and be drug-free with my family members.
What is Happiness? It is a state of enjoyment, showing satisfaction or joy; it is also marked by pleasure. When you are happy, in most cases, your disposition is characterised by laughter. Joy surges out from within you and you laugh. Laughing is a feeling of triumphant or exultant sense of well-being. When you are genuinely happy, no one needs to ask you; you just flow in it and it shows.
Now, God has declared this year as our own year of From Glory to Glory. Therefore, God expects a lot of happiness in and around us, and in our homes this year. We shall not disappoint Him.
What does it take to be Happy?
The Psalmist says: …Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee (Psalm 128:1-2). Also, Proverbs 28:14 says: Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief:
We can see from the two Scriptures above that happiness comes by fearing God, reverencing His voice via His Word, obeying His instructions and doing what He commands us to do. To maximise happiness in our homes, therefore, God is telling us to consider these:
- Appreciate the good in your spouse and family members, and then the bad will depreciate: Whatever good thing and strong point you can see in the life of your spouse, let it be a source of happiness and inspiration to you. Praise God for this aspect of his/her life and then, every other area where he/she does not measure up will begin to disappear before your eyes.
- Celebrate your spouse: Remember that other people are secretly wishing this same man or woman is their husband or wife. Keep that which you have jealously. Magnify your spouse in the face of the devil.
- Sow joy: Remember that it is what you sow, you reap. If you sow excitement into the atmosphere in your home, you will reap joyful family members. You will be happy yourself and your home shall be full of joy.
- Adapt to your spouse: Like what your spouse likes. Know his/her tastes and flow along with it. You will feel free and flow easily together.
- Maintain body contact always: This does not necessarily mean sex. Hug each other, give little kisses and give your spouse pats of encouragement. Don’t be ashamed to hold your spouse especially in public. Be free; not of necessity but as a lifestyle.
- Create God (not good) climate around your home: A God climate will eventually produce a good climate. Fill your home with Christian music, books, inspirational materials, postals, etc. Let everything around your home spell God.
- Organise Feasts: Learn to celebrate important days and events. Form the habit of remembering birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Make big events out of ordinary days. Use these occasions to get excited and rejoice with your family members. You don’t have to call people; gather your wife and children, and just celebrate with whatever you have.
- Be one: Do things with your spouse. Pray together and do things in common. Let your children see oneness in you. Remember, a house divide against itself cannot stand. Communicate and know your spouse to be able to vouch for you when not there. It makes you happy.
- Give no place to the spirit of unforgiveness: If you don’t forgive, you will not be forgiven. If you don’t make others happy, you will not be happy yourself. If your wife or husband offends or goes wrong somehow, correct immediately in love and forgive. Also forget and you’ll be happy.
- Be Contented: Contentment brings satisfaction. If you are not contented, you cannot be happy. Be satisfied with your husband, wife, children, finances, life and environment. Praise God always and you’ll be happy.
Throughout the remaining part of this year, slap the face of the devil with your laughter. Be happy on the inside and it shall continually show on the outside. Your health shall spring forth and every member of your family shall enjoy the divine presence of God. Heaven is full of joy and God dwells in the midst of praise. Make your home and life a habitation for the Almighty.
Moreover, it is important to know that if you want to maximise happiness in your home, the first step is to be born again. If you are not yet born again, now is the best time; so, please do not postpone or procrastinate because tomorrow might be too late. Please say this prayer and you shall be born again: “Dear Lord Jesus, I come to you today. I believe you died and rose again for my sake. Forgive me my sins, take my life and make me a child of God today as You plant Your rest in my life.”
If you prayed this simple prayer, you are now a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Read your Bible daily, obey God’s Word and seek Christian fellowship (John 14:21).
Congratulations! You are now born again! All-round rest and peace are guaranteed you, in Jesus’ Name. Call or write, and share your testimonies with me through email@example.com; OR 07026385437 and 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Marriage Covenant, Making Marriage Work, Building A Successful Home and Success in Marriage (Co-Authored).