|Author: Pastor Faith Oyedepo|
You are welcome to a time of refreshing in God’s presence. Last week, I taught on trust and this week, I want to teach on Relationship.
What is Relationship?
Relationship simply means association, contact and interaction with people. It means to be involved or to link up with somebody else. However, if your relationship with people must be successful, and not cause you problems but rather benefit you, then you need to understand and know yourself.
Every relationship you are into has you as the principal actor. That is why a good understanding of yourself will help you to succeed in that relationship –whether it is with a member of the opposite sex or someone of same gender. I have observed that many people don’t know themselves and have never really bothered to find out just who they are. They just want to focus on others and what they are doing well or not doing well. You need to take time to find out who you are.
Relationship with God
This kind of relationship only comes when you have given your life to Christ, and God becomes your Father. The Word of God says: Can two walk together, except they be agreed? (Amos 3:3). There is no way you can walk with God without being in an agreement with Him. Redemption is the only way to have a relationship with God. The Bible says: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God (John 3:3).
You and I were created for the pleasure of God. That means, the greatest relationship that you can have with anyone is with God. Once that relationship is intact, it will set a pace for your relationship with men (Revelation 4:11). Your relationship with God will always guarantee you wisdom, direction, peace, etc.
Relationship with Others
There are general rules for getting along with other people. These keys will work for you as you apply them.
- Walk in love: It is the love of God that makes it possible for you to relate successfully with all categories of men, both the lovable and the unlovable. That love is made possible by the help of the Holy Spirit (Romans 5: 5-6).
- Be understanding: Generally, people like to be understood. They want you to make an effort to understand why they do things the way they do them, their various temperaments, backgrounds, etc. You must strive to treat people the way you want to be treated.
- Beware of invalid expectations: The reason many times we have misunderstandings with people is that our expectations are very high. We expect too much from people. People will always be people! You must make allowance for their errors and weaknesses.
- Concentrate on the good: If you look carefully, you will observe that nobody is hundred percent perfect! Since that is the case, every one has weaknesses and strengths. So, you can either concentrate on their weaknesses or strengths per time. As such, we must learn to look beyond people’s mistakes.
- Treat people well: A wise man once said, ‘What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you’. That means, if you treat people well, whether they repay you or not, God will make it happen for you!
Relationship with members of your family
A family comprises of a father, mother and children (it also includes relations or those living in your house). If you are a wife or a husband, you must realise that you can get along with your spouse. All you need to do is appreciate his/her place and each of your responsibilities as God has declared in His Word. Let the wife start by understanding the leadership role of her husband and give him his place. She should also make sure that she respects, obeys and submits to him. For the man, you must make sure that you love your wife passionately, deeply and expressively. You will not fail in Jesus’ name!
To be able to relate with God and others, you need to surrender your life to Christ. You can do so by saying this prayer: “Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me of my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. Deliver me from sin and satan to serve the living God. I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom”.
If you prayed this simple prayer, you are now a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Read your Bible daily, obey God’s Word and seek Christian fellowship (John 14:21).
Congratulations! You are now born again! All-round rest and peace are guaranteed you, in Jesus’ Name. Call or write, and share your testimonies with me through firstname.lastname@example.org; OR 07026385437 and 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Marriage Covenant, Making Marriage Work, Building A Successful Home and Success in Marriage (Co-Authored).