The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate the source of funds used for his political campaign in 2015.
The national executive committee (NEC) of the party in its resolution on Tuesday described the probe of its members by the Buhari government as selective and an attempt to silence the opposition.
It, therefore, urged the government to go after governors of the All Progressives Congress (APC) who have allegations of misuse of public funds “hanging on their necks”, and not just after members of the PDP.
According to the six-point resolution released in a statement by Chinwe Nnorom, PDP head of publicity, the party condemned the “hounding” of its members by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and demanded their immediate release from detention.
Below is a copy of the resolutions.
The NEC was well attended and has the National Chairman, H.E. Sen. (Dr.) Ali Modu Sheriff, the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BoT), Senator Walid Jibrin, PDP State Governors, members of the National Working Committee (NWC), members and leaders of the National Assembly and other members of NEC and BOT.
The Meeting deliberated on several issues affecting the Party and the Nation and arrived at the following resolutions:
1. That the National Convention of the Peoples Democratic Party will hold in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State at the Shark Stadium on Saturday, the 21st of May 2016 as earlier scheduled.
2. That in-line with the Report of the Ekweremadu Committee, the forthcoming National Convention will formerly ratify the zoning of the PDP Presidential Ticket for the 2019 Presidential Election to the North and the zoning of the National Chairmanship position to the South of the country, respectfully.
3. NEC also resolved that due to the issues arising from the just concluded congresses at the wards, local governments and states, especially in Sokoto, Lagos, Osun and Adamawa states, that a Special Committee shall be constituted after the National Convention to look into the matter accordingly.
4. NEC observed and condemned in strong terms the arbitrary arrest and detention of PDP members on account of Party campaign funds by the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari and urged Nigerians and the International Community to request the APC Administration to investigate the campaign funds of its Party, the All Progressive Congress (APC) as some accusations of misuse of public funds are also levelled against some APC governors and stakeholders.
5. NEC further decried the selective probe of PDP members by the anti-graft agency under the administration of the APC as a case of witch-hunt and unnecessary oppression aimed at silencing members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
6. NEC therefore demands the immediate release of all members of the PDP in the custody of the anti-graft agency, the EFCC, or charge them to Court without further delay.